Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Animals in the Office

                                              


In a previous post I wrote about taking kittens to the Courthouse to find them a home. I would have preferred to keep at least one of them as an office cat, but the county did not allow animals in the Courthouse.

I have also written about my association with Townsend, Newton, and Dewhirst, a law partnership created by three of my former students who invited me to be of counsel to the firm. It was TN&D that introduced me to the valuable service that pets can provide in a law office. Two tiny poodles, Leon and Russell, spent their days entertaining the lawyers and clients, and helping to create a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere.

After opening my current law office in January of 1995, we decided we would have animals in the office. We started out small. First, we had a gerbil and goldfish. My niece and paralegal Staci contributed a boa constrictor!  

Then, about eight years ago, my partner, Kerry McCormick, found a kitten abandoned in a sewer ditch. He was tiny, orange, and had long hair. She brought him to work, and he found a home that he still enjoys today. We named him Simon. He lives at Solove and McCormick.

Simon grew up. We discovered soon after he adopted us that he was a Maine Coon, the largest breed of domestic cats. Also the most talkative. Simon meows at us constantly, demanding that we pay attention. He is an affectionate fellow who never met a stranger. He greets our visitors in a most friendly manner. After all, you never know who might have treats! Of course, on occasion, allergies dictate that Simon has to be locked up in one of our offices, but, for the most part, he is a welcome addition to any meeting. Even when uninvited, he can work the lever door handles on our offices and simply let himself in.

Sometimes, Kerry brings another visitor to the office. Rocky is a wonderful boxer dog, sweet, affectionate, and as friendly as they come. I consider him my pal.

Several other lawyers I know have office pets. The presence of a friendly animal in an office can have a real calming effect on clients who are nervous and emotional during a visit to a divorce lawyer. Sometimes, I think, the clients are far happier to see Simon than to see me!

No comments:

Post a Comment